Thursday, March 13, 2014

Homework Update

A one-year masters program is pretty intense and there's not much downtime.  When we're not reading for class or working on assignments, we're supposed to be researching for our thesis because it's due in August.

So here's a quick rundown of my not-so-exciting life over the past few months:
  • Wrote a literature review about determinants of household food security in Sub-Saharan Africa (related to my thesis)
  • Got sick for 3 weeks with a head cold & cough
  • Wrote a disease control intervention program for schistosomiasis in Uganda
  • Wrote a qualitative research proposal to study beliefs and practices regarding schistosomiasis in Uganda
  • Went ice skating with my classmates
 
  • Wrote the framework and outline for my thesis
  • Making my way through 6 seasons of Sons of Anarchy
  • Working on an evaluation plan for a nutrition programme in Uganda
  • Had class photos this week  :) 
This picture is from someone's iPhone - we also had a professional photo taken, which I'll get later.

You may notice a Ugandan theme for my assignments.  Being that this is an international public health course focused on developing countries, we are required to put all of our assignments in that context.  I could pick any country I want, but I have first-hand knowledge of Uganda so it's easiest for me.  However, my thesis will focus on Ethiopia because I wanted my topic to be about hunger and food aid - Ethiopia is the most relevant country for that topic.

I've got two weeks left to complete my monitoring & evaluation assignment and I have to write the first chapter of thesis.  Then it's spring break and the traveling begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment