Saturday, August 20, 2011

D'oh! (internet frustration)

I've been stopping at the internet cafe after training.  On most days, there is no power.  On the days that there is power, the wait for a computer is about an hour - and I have to be home by dark.  So internet access is not as easy as I thought.

On Wednesday, the wait was only 1/2 hour, so my friend and I decided to stick around.  We both got on a computer (there are only 3 computers in each cafe) and I was able to send out a few emails.  I also worked on a blog and uploaded a picture - which takes about 15-20 minutes per picture!!!  The internet is extremely slow here.  Just as I was about to post my blog, the power went out.  Aaahhh!!!  It was lost.  :(

As I talk to other volunteers, I realized just how "plugged in" the world is.  Every volunteer brought a computer (one guy brought two!).  And I think almost everyone bought a modem here in Uganda, so they can access the internet whenever they want.  (The modems are connected through the cell phone towers, so it's wireless.)  The Peace Corps experience has become high-tech.  And I think I will end up buying a modem soon - if only to email and blog and stay in touch with family and friends.  It seems to be the best option.

Did I mention that I have a cell phone too?!?!  Ha ha.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Are these modems purchased through cell phone companies? It sounds like they are similar to Mobile Hot Spots or data cards that you can buy from VZW, AT&T, etc in the States.

    I am amazed that something like that is available in Uganda! I guess the cell industry is much easier to spread throughout the world than any other technology that requires lines (power lines, phone lines, cable lines, etc) so it has helped modernized the globe. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete