Friday, November 4, 2011

My Career at Kuluva


Now that I’m settling into my site, I’m getting a better idea of what my workdays will be like.  Sister Anne gave me a modified job description that she made after my visit in September.  (I gave her my resume during my site visit, so the work could be more specific to my knowledge and experience.)   Well now my job title includes: Data Officer, School Administrative Assistant, and teacher for the social psychology and computer training courses.

So basically, what I’ll be doing is creating databases to track student records and school financial records (because everything is handwritten in binders right now); writing quarterly school reports and summaries; project and proposal writing for community outreach; creating school brochures; analyzing the school’s strategic plan; and teaching classes.  And if I have free time, the Kuluva Hospital would like me to help with their Health Management Information System (kind of the same thing I was doing at CDPHE).  My workload is full!


My schedule follows the school hours:
Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm
Morning tea break 10:30am-11:00am (Uganda was a British colony until 1962, so they still have morning and evening tea times!)
Lunch 1:00pm-2:00pm

The nursing school has four sets of students on rotating class schedules (or tracks) – so there is no summer vacation.  I’m okay with that because I’m not sure what I would do with an entire summer off.  (*The Peace Corps is my official employer and provides two vacation days per month that are accrued.  So even if the school has summers off, I would not be allowed to leave my site unless I used my Peace Corps vacation days.  It’s kind of messed up . . . but irrelevant.)  And for those of you who don’t know, I am saving all of my vacation days during my first year so that I can fly back to the states for Scott & Kailey’s wedding next year!!

Anyway, the teaching staff had a meeting on Tuesday about the next student set, who start school on November 21st.  My social psychology class will be Tuesday mornings 8:30-10:30, and the computer class is tentatively scheduled for Thursday afternoons.  (We’re still working on the teaching schedule.)

Overall, I’m pretty happy with my job description.  (It’s slightly odd to be in Africa working on a computer for most of the day.)  But since I don’t have a medical or clinical background, I wouldn’t be very helpful teaching nursing classes or doing field visits.  And I still get to coordinate community outreaches for the students, so I can contribute to the local public health that way.  There are also several non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in Arua that I can work with for secondary projects.


And the staff at the school are all fantastic.  :)  They’re just the nicest, friendliest group of people.  Look at the note they printed for me when I arrived!  :)




I’ll write more about them later – after I take their photos!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, We also believe you are in the right place at the right time (and are loved.) You will be a great asset to the staff and students and will provide a needed service to the school. And if you need help writing curriculum and teaching -- Dad and I may know a thing or two! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura! That note makes me want to cry!!!!How lovely and so very true.....I imagine computer help there is very needed and a very important part of positive growth there!!!So happy you have the skills to share with them! The social psych class will surely be fun! Have a wonderful November!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear that you are definitely coming home next year for Scott and Kailey's wedding!! You will get to meet Braylen! Glad things are going well! Talk to you later

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an impressive work load and role you will play at the nursing school, Laura. Even though you will be at the computer a lot, it is definitely a skill they need so you are providing a tremendous service to them. And, with teaching two classes you will have a nice mix of interaction with local people and time on your own doing computer work. I'll bet your mom wishes she could be there to help plan curriculum and to join you at "tea time!" And, what a touching welcome letter they gave you! It is comforting to know that you are in such a warm, welcoming environment. You are definitely in the right place at the right time! Love, Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! :) As you know, Scott and I are extremely grateful and excited to have you home for the wedding next year! It would not be the same without you! 10 more months! It will be here before you... and I for that matter... know it! :)

    ReplyDelete