Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Adjusting to Life in Africa


I’ve been at site for almost 2 weeks now and I’m still adjusting – mentally.  I think that training was SO busy and stressful that I never really experienced the culture shock.  It’s hitting me with full force now that I’m on my own.  During my first week in Arua, I battled several illnesses (diarrhea, fever, head cold/cough, etc.).  My body was physically exhausted from life and desperately needed a week of rest - and I’m adapting to a new diet . . . again.  The food in training (Kampala) was different than the food I’m eating in the West Nile region.  There are different crops and different methods of preparation and my gut needs to be slowly introduced to everything.  (I am EXTREMELY grateful for the care packages of American food to help ease the transition!!!)


 Thankfully, I have electricity and running water to keep me somewhat sane.  The power has not gone out once yet – in Wakiso it was out for days!  The water situation is a little stressful – I have to boil water (& let it cool) to drink or cook.  I also have to wash all of my fruits and vegetables with clean water.  I am constantly boiling water when I’m at the house and I have numerous kettles, pitchers, and water bottles scattered in my kitchen that are used in the boiling/cooling rotation.  It’s a routine that I will eventually get used to.  Even though I have running water and a shower, there is no hot water heater.  And I prefer a hot bucket bath to a cold shower . . . at least for now.  Maybe during the dry/hot season, a cold shower will feel pretty good.

Another part of the culture shock is the number of critters that I share my house with.  Spiders are everywhere.  And I’m talkin’ HUGE African spiders.  I’ve come to accept that I can’t kill them all (most of them live in my ceiling) but if they are on my furniture or come near my clothes/shoes, they’re dead.  I have my designated spider-killing flip flops and a can of Doom Spray on hand.  Also good for killing ants and cockroaches.


 Lizards are also living in my ceiling.  I don’t mind them so much (because they eat mosquitoes and flies), but I still jump when they skittishly run up the walls.  And I hear them crawling in the ceiling . . . creepy.

Yesterday was a special day when I found my first snake in my house.  I didn’t freak out too much – I trapped it under a bucket lid and decided to let it go in the morning.  Unfortunately, the snake escaped during the night and I have NO idea where it is.  I can only hope that it found its way back outside.  (I’m still nervous about going back into the spare bedroom!)


There is also A LOT of noise outside – it sounds like someone pounding on my neighbor’s door.  Sister Anne laughed and said, “It’s just the monkeys on the roof!”  Sure enough, I see the monkeys in my trees all the time.  Here's one on my front porch this morning!


And last weekend during a rainstorm, there was some other commotion on my front porch.  When I looked, I saw 4 goats huddled on my porch trying to stay out of the rain.


Someday, this will all be normal to me.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, I don't know if snakes, spiders and lizards IN the house will ever seem normal! I love the pictures of your monkey and goat friends! Africa is full of new sounds--I'm amazed that you can get a good night's sleep. Have fun this weekend in Arua with the other PCV's.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't eaten any of the food we sent yet?? :) Eat it, we can send more.. Have fun with your critters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura! Wow...spiders, snakes, monkeys and goats...sounds like you have a lot of new experiences to adjust to. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and hope you are 100% again soon. I love the pictures! Please keep posting those. And, I'm very relieved to know that you have indoor plumbing. :) I'll be sending a care package soon...any requests from the U.S.? Let me know! Lots of love to you, Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura...love u. Enjoying your blog. We are anxiously waiting to hear about your volunteering experiences as well as updates in monkeys, goats, and spiders! The snakes...I hope u never see another one.Stay safe, and glad u r feeling so much better!!!!Much love, aunt Linda and Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my....spiders, lizards, and snakes! Eeeeek! I like monkeys though and goats are okay too. :) I get so excited when I check your blog and you have written....can't wait for the next update!

    ReplyDelete