Saturday, December 17, 2011

December Update

It’s been a while since I wrote a lengthy blog post.  Here’s what’s been going on with me:

Work
·      I’ve been teaching about 3 or 4 days a week (2-4 hours a day).  Research and lesson planning take up a lot of my time.  I’m also working on random projects that Sister Anne assigns me (e.g. creating a school brochure for visitors and potential new students).
·      Last Monday, I attended a School Management Committee meeting with Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau.  I finally learned some details about the school’s challenges and goals, - now I have a clear picture of the many administrative tasks Kuluva needs help with.  The school staff is having 2 more meetings about it next week, so those projects will be starting soon too.
·      In addition to my work at Kuluva, I have to write & submit reports to the Peace Corps about my job/site – and, of course, I procrastinated until the week they were due.
·      Now, I’ve got a stack of papers to grade this weekend . . . I have officially turned into my parents.  (Ha ha!  Love you Mom & Dad.)

Around the House
·      The power cord to my computer is on the fritz.  I think I need to limit my computer time (and not go on the internet everyday).  Blogs and emails may be fewer and farther between.
·      The dry season has arrived in Uganda – which means water is starting to run out.  The plumber can usually fix something with the pressure and the pump, but it takes him 3-4 days to respond to my phone calls (so no water for those 3-4 days).  Thankfully, I have a giant stash of Wet Wipes that will help get me through.
·      Amviko is still helping out.  We’re in a good routine of one day a week – I’m just not messy enough for her to be full-time.  Plus, I enjoy cooking for myself.  I’m trying out different recipes from the Peace Corps Cookbook that past PCVs created with local/seasonal foods.  Favorite recipe so far: Basque Style Green Beans
·      And I bought a bike!  It’s a used Schwinn in good condition.  It has several gears (to help me get through the hills near Kuluva) and I added a few extra accessories: a bell, mudguards, and a basket.  The Peace Corps provided me with a helmet, bike lock, and bike pump.  I’m set!  Now instead of a 6-mile walk (like I had during training), I’m doing a 12-mile bike ride to Arua 2-3 times a week.

Social Life 
Over the past couple of months, I’ve been so focused on work that I started to feel somewhat isolated from other PCVs.  I decided that if I have the afternoon off from teaching, I’m going to ride my bike to town and visit the other volunteers.  I’ve got to keep my mental health in check!  (And it’s a nice workout too!)  A couple of weeks ago I went out with George and Brady for drinks (sodas); then last weekend I met George, Betty, Chen, and Latoya at the Ethiopian restaurant for lunch; and on Wednesday Marcy and I went to Sherry’s house to use her (conventional) oven and bake Christmas cookies!  We put on some Christmas cd’s and baked 5 different kinds of cookies: ginger cookies, snickerdoodle, peanut butter, lace cookies, and Viennese Crescents.  (The crescents were no good and didn’t bake – I think the recipe in the Peace Corps cookbook is off.)  And since we were there, Sherry let us take advantage of her hot shower!  It was so nice to completely wash off the layer of sunscreen and dirt.  :)


5 comments:

  1. Busy, busy! I'm glad to hear the Kuluva School of Nursing needs you to do so much for them. You must feel very fulfilled. Dad and I will include a red pen in our next care package! I love the picture of you baking cookies at Sherry's house. Good for you for taking time to socialize and have some fun -- that should be part of your experience, too! Miss you!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are keeping busy and still making time for socializing! I hope the water problems do not last too long! :) We will all miss you during the holidays, but we will be thinking of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Laura! That is a really cute picture of you baking cookies! I think the peace corp life agrees with u.School sounds challenging and so does your bike trips to Arua!So glad u bought a bike!Grandma Phyllis sure fixed u up for Christmas didn't she???Cute little tree!You will be missed but happy u r still living your dream...hugs and Merry Christmas!!!Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are super busy!! That's good...and that's great that you have so many people around that you can hang and socialize with. I hope your water gets fixed fast! I'm assuming you have water for drinking or other liquids during those 3-4 days...hopefully! I miss you tons and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look like your having so much fun baking cookies!!! It must be an amazing experience... Maybe something i might want to do someday... You never know:)

    ReplyDelete