Thursday, December 1, 2011

Holidays in Arua

 (This is NOT my house!)

Christmas is quickly approaching and it’s hitting me pretty hard just how much I miss my family.  I’ve have always spent the holidays with family, whether it was Thanksgiving in Denver or Christmas in Chicago.  I wasn’t quite sure what to do with myself in Uganda last week for Thanksgiving.  Yeah sure, some of the PCVs were organizing events in different cities.  But I guess I prefer a more traditional holiday celebration – not a Thanksgiving Day booze cruise on the Nile River . . . that sounds more like the 4th of July to me.  
(*I’m reminded of the 4th of July boat parade at Pigeon Lake . . . especially since it’s 80+ degrees here right now.  Ha ha.)  Anyway-

It turns out there is a good number of Americans living in the Arua area doing missionary work.  Marcy and Tom Macaulay (PCVs from my training group) met them through their church and bible study group.  Since Ugandans don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, the Americans in the area get together every year for a traditional holiday dinner – Marcy sent me the invite, after our original Peace Corps group dinner plans fell through.

Sherry Meyer, one of the missionaries, hosts the dinner every year because she has one of the nicest houses in Uganda.  It’s huge.  And she has all of the wonderful modern appliances that you have back in the states (i.e. dishwasher, oven, washer/dryer, etc.).  And she also has all of the fun little appliances, like a drip coffee maker and an ice cream maker!  So I was able to eat ice cream in Africa last week!  Amazing.

I had such a great time meeting new people and talking about the cultural adjustment, difficulties with Lugbara, cooking local foods, etc.  There were a couple of people who just arrived a few weeks ago but most of the group has been living in Uganda for 10+ years.  (Sherry has been here since 1991.)  I feel much more comfortable about the area now and have some great resources for answering my questions about transportation, traveling, food, or whatever.  :)

Towards the end of dinner, we were all invited back to Sherry’s for her annual Christmas party/dinner (which includes a tree-lighting ceremony, Christmas carols, and more ice cream!!).  I’m not sure what the other PCVs are planning but I know where to go for my holidays in Arua.


  




7 comments:

  1. Awesome to hear about your holidays!So happy it is so homey for u.Can't get enough of your blogging! Miss u and hugs kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool that you have such a great place to go for the holidays with nice people! We are going to Chicago this year.....you will be missed!!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,
    Your Thanksgiving feast looks bountiful and delicious! And I noticed the large salad -- something you've missed from your diet, I know. How nice that you met more people in Arua that you look forward to seeing again. We're missing you, too, especially at the holidays. Scott probably won't even get the Legos out this year! We think about you all the time so keep those blog entries and pictures coming. Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,

    What a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner! The table looks beautiful. Keep blogging. I love hearing about your adventures!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait! Looks better than our dinner. We miss you Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,
    What a wonderful Thanksgiving! Glad you found your "holiday spot" -- sounds like a wonderful group of people and the food looks great! You are an amazing young woman and I wish you the happiest of holiday seasons. It is hard to be away from family during these times, but I know that you will embrace and enjoy the "family" that you have discovered there in Arua <3
    Much love to you,
    Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, her place is nicer than mine. I may have to check out some real estate in Uganda. I bet the prices are real cheap.

    ReplyDelete