Monday, March 19, 2012

Homesick - Follow Up


To my family – thank you for the words of encouragement and support in response to my last blog post. Just writing about my frustrations helped take some of the pressure off – it’s hard to keep the blog upbeat when my emotions are all over the place.

I received some questions/comments that I wanted to respond to – and I figured I shared my thoughts with everyone.

I called the Peace Corps Medical Office and scheduled an appointment to talk to the nurses about mental health.  I have to go to Kampala for a GAD Committee meeting on March 31st and riding 16 hours on a bus for a 2-hour meeting would send me over the edge.   At least the medical visit will extend the trip for one more day.

Sometime in January, I decided that I have to set monthly goals for myself to keep from getting bored and to feel a sense of achievement.  It also helps the time go by faster.  Some of my goals are related to work and Peace Corps (finish the school brochure by the end of February, run for Gender and Development Committee position in February, create exam questions for social psychology by the end of March, etc.) and some goals are for my personal life (cook a new vegetable/recipe, leave site at least once a month to visit other PCVs, take more pictures of the community, etc.).  It is essential for my sanity that I have something to look forward to each month – and at the end of my service, I’ll have a long list of my accomplishments in Uganda (even small ones, like cooking Curried Okra).

Also, knowing that I’ll be home in September definitely helps.  I am counting down the months until I get to see the whole family again.  Right now I’m looking at dates and flights – I’ll send out word when it’s booked.  I was thinking about going to the Pig Roast too, but I don’t have enough vacation days to take the entire month of September off.  (Sorry Allens & McGraths!)  But I am considering a weekend in Denver while I’m in the states.  I’ll see what I can work out.

Thank you to Uncle John for reminding me of the hardships of living in the US.  :)  I couldn't stop laughing when I read your comments.  [*Read the comments to the previous blog post.]  I forgot how frustrating it is losing the remote control or getting the wrong order after going to a fast food drive-thru.  Life is tough.  :)

Last week I was able to Skype with Brian, Ashley, Ainsley, and Roen.  (I don’t have high-speed internet at my house, so arranging a Skype session is difficult.)  It was so nice to talk and see them!  I know that I’m going to be missing a lot during these two years, but I like to be kept in the loop with what’s going on.  I don’t want to come home and say, “What?!  When did Wendy get married?!” or something like that.  It helps me to stay connected with everyone back home.

During our Skype session, Brian asked me what I do during my ‘down time.’  I couldn’t think of a good answer.  This weekend I wrote it all down:
  • If the power is on, I watch movies.
  • If the power is off, I read books.
  • I also enjoy frequent afternoon naps.
  • From November to January, I was on the internet a lot researching social psychology and preparing lesson plans.
  • Now I research vacations & safaris and figure out my calendar & budget.
  • I write blog posts and emails.
  • On the weekend, I’ll wash my clothes.  That usually takes 1-2 hours.
  • Cooking takes longer here – I don’t have a microwave.  And there’s the added step of washing fruits and vegetables in diluted bleach water for 10 minutes.
  • I try to ride my bike town at least twice a week.  It’s an hour to get there and an hour back with some shopping in between.  And then a bucket bath.
  • Daily chores include sweeping, dusting, filtering water, boiling water, and killing spiders & ants.
  • I have yoga books and magazines, but it has not become part of my daily routine yet.  Some days I’m just too tired . . . and the cement floor is not very inviting.

Ok, that’s all for now.  I have to go wash my tomatoes in bleach, pump up my bike tires, and kill the cockroach that's hanging around my bathroom sink.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    What a great idea to set goals and keep track of your accomplishments. It will be gratifying to read through your list at the end of 2 years -- I'm sure even your small goals are worthwhile. I like your plan to leave your site at least once a month. I think it's important to get away and take a break from the routine. I hope you have a good trip to Kampala for the GAD committee meeting and we can talk to you shortly after.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweet pea~did you get the e-mail I sent u? You sound like you have great goals~good job taking care of u! Talking to a nurse/mental health is a smart move too. As for the Pig Roast~we all understand love~u just do what u need to do! Maybe we need to get u to Missouri instead of the Pig Roast! I agree~taking breaks from the routine is smart too! We miss u back here and know we will be seeing you soon~Just so u know~we killed one spider last week and two yesterday. lol....however I know Amber about ran into a swarm of bees, close call!Take good care of u and e-mail when u can and I will write back again.In the spirit of "sharing" dislikes, I have a few.

    I don't like tornado weather and I noticed you don't get that in Uganda!
    I don't like bees, wasps, hornets and carrying an epipen is hard..it's huge and I have to wear a hip-pack like in the 80's/skater packs.
    I don't like my hair color. I did it, picked the wrong color and now have to add highlights!
    I didn't like it when Mizzou lost the other night in college bball...they were a favorite and it made people mad!

    On a positive note, I DO like it when you blog!
    I do like to hear about you describe the scenery, people and markets there!
    I do like to envision you in your home with monkeys dancing on the porch!
    I do like it when you tell about your foods and cooking~always think about that mac and cheese u made at Pig Roast!
    I do like it when I think about you and Amber growing up together and how wonderful that was!

    Last, I do like it when Uncle Jer and I know we will be seeing you in a few nano months~soon~soon~soon!We love you....! Keep on going girl, we are for you and behind you!!Love Aunt Linda and Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    The Weak Link Family members, the Beslers, are just getting up to speed because we are so busy we just run around in circles. I am so happy to hear you are feeling better and how strong and self aware you are in the cyle of being a PCV. It is your blogs that LIFT ME out of my daily grinds of driving in circles from school to work at the hospital to dance studio to basketball practice and to church .... and around and around we go... it is YOUR LIFE and YOUR work that show me and my family that the world is bigger than Park Ridge and how much meaning there is to serving others ... so THANK YOU, Laura, for your continued service and blogging. You are absolutely wonderful. Love you very much, Aunt Paula and the gang

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goals are good! Jesse and I constantly talk about how we need to set some goals for our self so we can get things done around here! We have a pile of stuff that we need to accomplish but nothing on the list ever seems to get done. Mr. Braylen and Jesse's classes are keeping us super busy. That would be so cool if you could have come to the Pig Roast but I understand that you don't have enough days. September will be here before we know it! I did put up on facebook Braylen's 6 month pictures if you haven't seen them yet. Love reading your blogs!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just sent Dad down to the basement to kill a spider (a large one by Arlington Heights standards.) I would NEVER make it in Uganda -- I would need a full-time pest control expert as I don't do that stuff myself. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura! I've just caught up on your blogs, as I just returned from Costa Rica last weekend and have been out of the loop for a bit. I'm sorry you've been having a hard time, but as many have already said, I don't think it would be normal for you to NOT have a hard time at some point. You know what you need to do to get through this, that is very clear by what you've blogged about how you're handling it, and I am confident brighter days will return for you. I'm really glad you took the initiative to call the nurse and schedule a mental health day for yourself while in Kampala. Some people wouldn't have even done that...but not you! You are so insightful, strong and smart you know what you need to do. In the meantime, know that you are a bright ray of sunshine for all of us at home. We are virtually living in Africa through you. Thank you for that!!! Kristi and I had a very adventurous journey in Costa Rica...and I can somewhat relate to the lack of customer service and on their own time mentality you speak of. As with any trip it had its ups and downs (literally), but overall it was amazing. We loved it! I know that will be news to your mom, as all I did was complain when I got back...but having a near death experience on a white water rafting trip does that to me I guess...not to mention after being delayed in Mexico City for a day and a half, among many other mishaps! Anyway, we have tons of great pictures, I'll send you the Shutterfly link. We stayed right in the jungle...woke up every morning to howling monkeys over our bungalow. Toucans, parrots and Costa Rican blue butterflies flew overhead, sloths in the tree tops, and poison dart frogs hopping around the ground. It was absolutely incredible! Yoga and meditation every morning and night, with adventure excursions during the day. Sorry, I've gone on too long...but I know you'll appreciate the pics! I also picked up a souvenier for you that will be in the mail soon! Love you lots and think of you always, Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete