Thursday, March 15, 2012

Homesick


  • I’m tired of being called ‘mundu.’
  • I’m tired of being laughed at/stared at/pointed at.
  • I’m tired of the kids incessantly repeating, “How are you? How are you? How are you? How are you?” as I walk by.
  • I’m tired of sitting in the staff room while everyone speaks Lugbara to each other (which I can't understand).
  • I’m tired of having to do “spider-checks” every time I walk into a room in my house.  

  • I miss comfortable furniture.
  • I miss constant running water and hot water heaters.
  • I miss public transit systems that run on time (here, the bus leaves when it fills up with people – sometimes after hours of waiting.)
  • I miss dark green, leafy salads.  (I’ve ordered salad in a restaurant here three times, and all three times I got diarrhea the next day.  I don’t think they wash their vegetables in clean water.  Bummer.)
  • I miss washing machines.
  • I miss ice – not for drinks or cooling off on a hot day.  I miss ice for injuries (e.g. a stiff neck from an 8-hour bus ride, bee stings, sore back muscles from hardwood chairs, etc.)
  • I miss good customer service (at stores and supermarkets), and I'm tired of being overcharged all the time. 
  • And I miss restaurants that serve food in a timely manner – no one in the US has to wait an hour for a plate of French fries!!!

I was in Kampala and Masaka this week for our group's In-Service Training and I learned about the U-curve of PCV emotions.  On average, volunteers start feeling emotional lows around the 6-month mark of their service - depression, isolation, frustration at site, etc.  I'm there right now.  The mental/emotional stress of cultural adaptation has caught up to me and some days I'm too tired to leave the house.  It helped a lot to talk to the other PCV's in my group and the Peace Corps Medical Office, and to be reassured that this is normal and it will get better.  Peace Corps also allows 3 "free" days (meaning no vacation days are used) away from site for mental health/rest and relaxation.  And now that I'm getting involved in other projects (away from my site), I think I'll feel better soon.  In the meantime, I plan to escape into the wonderful world of cinema - I just got 200 GB of movies and tv shows.

7 comments:

  1. Awwww Laura....it will get better again soon! It does sound normal that volunteers would go through times of sadness and homesickness. It would be kind of strange if you didn't. I wish I could be there to make you happy!! You are very missed back home but you are living your dream and have had so many neat experiences to share with all of us. I am proud of you and your determination to help others around the world! Hang in there! I can't wait to see you though at Scott's wedding and you get to meet Braylen....yay!! I love you! Love, Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Laura....it will get better again soon! It does sound normal that volunteers would go through times of sadness and homesickness. It would be kind of strange if you didn't. I wish I could be there to make you happy!! You are very missed back home but you are living your dream and have had so many neat experiences to share with all of us. I am proud of you and your determination to help others around the world! Hang in there! I can't wait to see you though at Scott's wedding and you get to meet Braylen....yay!! I love you! Love, Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this posted twice! My computer was all screwed up and I thought I lost my post so I hit send again and then it wouldn't let me get back in to see if it sent. My mom told me she saw my message twice! Ooops....I just now was able to get on here and see messages.

      Delete
  3. Hi Laura,
    It sounds like you miss us (and home) as much as we miss you. I know you'll draw on your inner strength and independent nature to get through difficult days -- and escaping with some good movies should help. Thank goodness new opportunities are coming up for you to change the routine of your days. I hope you also find a way to use some of those free days to recharge and meet up with PCV friends for some fun times. I'm sure you're not alone in needing to recharge. Can you call this weekend? Can't wait to talk to you! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura love~you are missed very much back here.I am sure that the 6mth mark is probably when the high of everything new starts to wear off. Kind of like running a race. You get started and then somewhere in the middle you pace yourself for the long haul.You have great stamina and I know you will find your way through this momentary pause in energy and excitement. You are blessing the world and others thru your efforts.Uganda is very much in the news lately, and the people you are helping really need you there. You are doing wonderful hon!We love you...Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love from Denver. Just so you know life back here sucks!! I know that you are feeling blue but you can't imagine what I go through here.

    - I'm tired that the spiders here are so small I can't even find them
    -I'm tired of being called butthead by my wife
    -I'm tired of not being able to wear shorts because my legs are so white
    -I'm tired of Phyllis calling and asking "how are you"
    -I'm tired of buying new furniture because the old furniture is worn out
    -I'm tired of having to adjust my shower temperature because it is to hot
    -I'm tired of the traffic going up to Boulder (Annie), sometimes you can be delayed 15 minutes
    -I'm tired that Nikki tells me to eat more salads
    To be continued on next post

    ReplyDelete
  6. -I'm tired that one button on our washing machine is broken
    -I'm tired that our ice machine in the kitchen is broken and I have to go downstairs for ice
    -I'm tired of the price of gasoline here, I wish I had a good bike!!
    -I'm tired of having to go out to eat all the time, can't I get a good home cooked meal!

    Hope I made you laugh or cry or something to relieve a little stress!!

    Be Safe
    Love Uncle John

    ReplyDelete