Monday, April 2, 2012

Introspection


A few days ago I met with Barbara, the Peace Corps nurse, to talk about the stress of cultural adaption.  She was great – very supportive and super easy to talk to.  She explained why the 6-month mark is the low point for PCVs, and all of sudden my emotional rollercoaster made sense.

After six months of service, the ‘newness’ of the experience has worn off and I have to deal with unfamiliar problems every day.  The comforts I had in the US have been stripped away: family and friends are on the other side of the world; there is no 24-Hour Fitness Center, movie theater, Ben & Jerry’s, or Comedy Central here; even just leaving the house causes a good deal of stress, which gives me agoraphobic tendencies.  When I signed up for the Peace Corps (and even throughout training), I had an image of what I wanted to do in Uganda.  Now those projections are clashing with reality.  I realize that I do not enjoy teaching Social Psychology as much as I’d hoped.  And when I’m not teaching, I sit alone in a computer room working on databases – which adds to the isolation of being at site.  It is natural to feel some disappointment, and when that’s weighed against everything that I’m missing at home (Christmas, Ainsley’s soccer games, weddings & babies, etc.), sometimes it doesn’t seem worth it.


In order to get past this point on the U-curve of emotions, I have to really consider what I want out this experience.  What am I learning here?  What do I want to leave behind?  How will this experience help me grow as a person?  Barbara was impressed that I’ve starting making goals for myself, that I got involved with the Gender and Development Committee, and that I’m aware of what’s bothering me and figuring out ways to move past it.

We also discussed the possibility of my malaria medication might be causing my mood swings.  I have been on Mefloquine (Lariam) since I arrived in country – it is the most effective malaria prevention medication, but it also has the most severe side effects.  While I only had one night terror (a hallucinogenic dream usually violent in nature), Barbara and I both suspect it contributed to the extreme emotions I’ve been experiencing – (it wasn’t just frustration at site, it was anger with a tinge of rage).  Mefloquine also causes insomnia - I have only had one or two nights of solid sleep per month.  (*And then this story was floating around the PCV's Facebook pages – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/25/robert-bales-malaria-drug_n_1378671.html
Mefloquine was linked to the soldier in Afghanistan who snapped and went on a rampage.)  So, now I will start taking Doxycycline as my malaria prophylaxis - it's an antibiotic with minor side effects.  *But just so you know – Mefloquine is the best anti-malaria drug for short-term use.  So if you visit or vacation somewhere for a couple of weeks, Mefloquine is ok.

I’ll write about my GAD Committee meeting in the next post – but while I was in Kampala, I went to the grocery store and found SOY MILK!!!  Ah-yeah.  :)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    Thank you for being so honest and open about your feelings. Of course, we worry all the time, but we're confident you'll work through the tough times by doing what you did -- identify the problems, set goals, ask for help and be assertive in getting what you need. But we still worry! Let us know if you feel better (or notice a difference) after changing to Doxycycline. Have you talked to Sister Anne about your struggles? I wonder if there is other work you can do at the school that will group you with more people. It has to be hard being isolated in the computer lab while you work on data bases. Will you be touching base with Barbara to let her know how things are going? Too many questions for a blog -- can you call us next weekend? I'll try to think of what's new with us, but you're really not missing much here! Love you!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    Wow, I'm so glad you got some help from Barbara. It sounds like she knows what she's talking about and you made a great connection. Glad to know you're changing our malaria medication too. I'll be anxious to hear if that helps. Any idea how long before you should feel a difference? I wonder why they kept you on the other meds for so long, without checking in with you about it. Oh well...it sounds like you're on a good path now, thanks to your proactive efforts! I'm not surprised she was impressed with you and how self-aware you are. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your GAD committee meeting and what kinds of things you will be doing with that group. I'm hopeful you will make some good connections there as well. In the meantime, I'm glad you found some soy milk...and I wish I could ship you some Ben & Jerry's! Nothing like a pint of Chunky Monkey to chase the blues away! Then again you have real monkeys...so that should be good for a laugh. : ) Did you get a chance to look at our Costa Rica pics? That might put a smile on your face too. I've posted a truncated version of the Shutterfly album on Facebook, if it's easier for you to look at them there. My package went in the mail to you today...so you will have some protein bars and some other goodies soon! I think of you every day. Lots of love, Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura love~thinking of you and sending ((((((hugs)))) You are striving to meet your challenges head-on and you are doing such a great good doing that. I would like to hear about your daily,weekly goals and how those are going. Sometimes~we just keep going in spite of the obstacles and circumstances that get in our path. I know you will find your way.You are an inspiration and we love you. Stay the path~the rewards may be just around the next corner~they will come. We sow good things and often reap the rewards in a different season of life. U are close in our hearts, thoughts and prayers. Love you hon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura~Amber has not been able to post on your blog the last few blogs because of a computer problem. She is thinking of u and will e-mail until the problem get fixed.Very frustrating for her. She wanted me to let you know! Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Laura!! Sorry I haven't said much lately...my computer wasn't letting me blog on your posts. Finally got that fixed and so now I think it's going to work again! I think I said last time, but I will say it again.....setting goals for yourself will be good for you!! I need to set some for myself. And I am glad that they are putting you on a different medication. I hope you feel better with this new one. Miss you! Love, Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,
    We love you and are so glad you are figuring things out, we know you will and you are making a tremendous difference and hopefully soon you will see in what way you are more clearly. Keep blogging and we are SO looking forward to seeing you in September! Love you! Aunt Paula and the crazy gang. (Heather decided on University of Illinois - go Illini!)

    ReplyDelete