Friday, April 20, 2012

Updating the Resume


I realize I’ve only been at site for 6 months and I won’t actually need my resume for at least another 12 months.  But I wanted to write out what exactly my job entails at Kuluva (and figure I would just cut & paste it into my resume).

This week I had very successful meeting with my Peace Corps Program Manager, Shiphrah, and my supervisor, Sister Anne.  I had emailed Shiphrah a couple of weeks ago stating my concern that I’m teaching all the time.  It is not sustainable work, nor do I like it that much (I do not know anything about sociology in Uganda or in nursing).  When I first arrived at Kuluva, Sister Anne gave me a long list of various projects to do while I’m here (create databases, assist with report writing, community outreaches, etc.).  At this point, I've hardly done any of it – there’s just no time.  Between lesson planning, teaching class, and working on all my other Peace Corps projects/trainings (including all the days I have to travel), there is no way the student records database will ever get created.

Shiphrah came to clarify that I should not be teaching students – I should be teaching the staff how to improve school programs (something they can continue with after I leave).  We revisited my list of projects, and when I emphasized that I can complete the databases if I stop teaching, Sister Anne was very supportive (she really wants the databases).  The three of us worked together to redefine my role in the office administration, instead of the classroom. 

I am very happy with the outcome of the meeting.  Office administration work is experience that I can use back in the states – database management, IT staff training, project proposals, etc.  And it will certainly be sustainable for Kuluva and will greatly improve the quality of the school.  I feel so much better now.  :)

And tomorrow I’m traveling to Gulu for Camp GLOW!!  (So I will be offline until May.)

6 comments:

  1. What?? You don't like teaching? Whose daughter are you? Well, it's a good thing you figured it out early and set up a meeting to change your responsibilities at the school. It makes much more sense for you to teach sustainable skills -- especially data entry once those data bases are complete. I'm glad the meeting went so well and you're happy again. Camp GLOW should be an interesting experience and it will be nice for you to work will many other Peace Corps volunteers in making a difference in young people's lives. Can't wait to hear about it and see pictures in your next blog.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Laura! Glad your meeting went well and it's good to hear your happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *you're* sorry spelled that wrong! lol

      Delete
  3. Well Laura~glad you figured this out and did something to correct it for yourself!Good job! Will be anxious to hear about camp!Happy for u!U won't see this until after camp~I was in Newman,IL all weekend~but I am back in MO. Love u~Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your proactive approach to issues with the program! Can't wait to hear about Camp Glow. Be on the lookout for a package - love, Aunt Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear about your updates! I think this change and your experience at Camp GLOW will help rejuvenate your spirits! I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete