Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Rafting on the Nile River

I spent last weekend in Jinja, where the big tourist attraction is whitewater rafting on the Nile.  I had been thinking about it for a while, but I was reluctant to jump into the Grade 5 rapids.  My friend Katie was also nervous, so we decided to sign up for Grade 3.  Unfortunately, we were the only two people for Grade 3, so they cancelled that boat.  Our alternative was to go down the Grade 5 rapids in a safety boat.  The safety boat carries the supplies and food for the rafters - it's the same run as the other rafts, only the safety boat doesn't flip over.  I had heard from many other PCVs that when their boat flipped, they thought they were going to die because they were stuck underwater for so long.  No thank you.  (*Not to mention the fact that my root canal 3 days before had turned into a tooth extraction - so I was in a lot of pain and also had stitches in my mouth.  Not good for rafting.)  

Katie and I went on the safety boat and had an awesome time.  We still got the thrill of Grade 5 without the near-death experience - it was perfect.  :)




And because the safety boats doesn't flip, I was able to bring my camera along and take some close-up shots.



We also saw some interesting wildlife along the river: a massive swarm of bats (pictured above) and a black mamba swimming along the surface of the Nile.  Never a dull moment in Africa.



At one point in the river, there is a Grade 6 rapid, which no one is allowed to raft down (because you'll die).  We had to walk around and get back in the water after passing the danger spots.


That concludes my Ugandan adventures and safaris!  My last 2 months of service will be at Kuluva and a final Close of Service Conference with my PCV training group.  But first: Egypt!!!

6 comments:

  1. Your mother thanks you for making the practical and safe rafting choice! It looks like a fun adventure. Loved your pictures. Have a great time in Egypt next week. We're counting down the days until you come home! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what keeps the boat from flipping? That dinky thing looks pretty vulnerable to me. Awesome picts though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,

    How awesome!! I wish I could do that.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous!!! I have not been whitewater rafting in a very very long time! Looks amazing! I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Laura!Sorry it took so long to post!Busy week here:)Happy to see you are still chasing adventure and making smart choices!Yay! Great way to end your service there...with fun fond memories! Happy for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had so much fun! How cool! Sorry I haven't put many messages up lately....I hardly ever use my computer anymore because I just use my phone and I don't have your blog on my phone so I have been forgetting to check lately....but I caught myself up tonight. Bray was sick for a while, then I got a bad sinus infection so our household has been pretty cranky. Jesse has been doing well though. We miss you and hope to see you in September!

    ReplyDelete