Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Beginning of the End


I guess it’s a sign that my Peace Corps service is ending when my neighbor Jimmy came to my house and asked to look around for things he wants when I leave.  Hmm . . .

So I compiled a list of items for sale and gave it to Jimmy to pass around to the school staff – but I know most of them don’t have the money to buy stuff.  Fortunately, the new PCVs coming to Arua are interested purchasing things for their houses.  I really just want to sell the big-ticket items: my refrigerator, bike, and stove.  Anything else is just a bonus. 

But it occurred to me (as Jimmy was shopping around my house) that I don’t have much time left in Uganda – only 2 ½ months!

Most of you know that I will be leaving my service early and moving to the UK in September.  I have been accepted into the University of Leeds to get a Master’s in Public Health.  (Yay!)  I am so excited to move to the UK!  I figured that since I don’t have a house or a car, and all of my stuff is packed in boxes in my parents’ basement, now is perfect time to continue living abroad.  Not to mention the fact that the University of Leeds has an excellent international public health program, with connections to the World Health Organization.

And I think the transition will be somewhat easy – Uganda was a British colony until 1962, so there is a lot of English influence here:
  • French fries are called chips; cookies are called biscuits; and trash is rubbish.
  • There are petrol stations – not gas stations.
  • Cars drive on the left side of the road (and driver’s seat is on the right side of the car).
  • We have morning and afternoon tea time here.
  • I can understand a weather report in Celsius degrees; I used the metric system; and I write the date: day/month/year (like the rest of the world).
  • And in Uganda, we use British spell check for words like colour, centre, and programme.

So what am I going to do during the last few months in Uganda?  Well, Kuluva School of Nursing has decided to give the teachers a break and is closed for the entire month of June.  And it just worked out that I have several Peace Corps meetings next week . . . and I’m also using up the rest of my vacation days this month.  :)  Here’s what’s coming up:
  • Going to Kampala for a root canal (not really fun, but needs to get done)
  • Girl Tech Director’s Meeting - Sadly, I had to resign from Girl Tech because of my early departure in August.  This meeting is get a few other volunteers to take on some of the responsibilities.  I will continue to plan and coordinate the camp for as long as I’m in Uganda.  I just won’t be able to attend the actual event.  :(
  • Spending a weekend in Jinja
  • Volunteer Advisory Committee (VAC) meeting
  • Going to EGYPT for 10 days!!!
  • Return back to Kuluva the last week of June

Blogs posts will be sporadic but expect tons of pictures at the end of the month!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Laura! Another adventure -- this time to Egypt. Have a great time and take LOTS of pictures because I don't envision Dad and me visiting there anytime soon. We're very excited for the next phase of your life -- grad. school in England. And we WILL come and visit you there. Promise! The transition will probably be an easy one for you after living in Uganda. Can't wait for you to come home first and spend a few weeks with us. And good luck with that moving sale! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!I almost missed your last entry!I think I have commented on all or almost all! Laura, I won't say this ever again~go home and see your mom and dad. Get there safe and enjoy your time home!lol I just have to say that for Steve and Kathy who have waited this out. Excited for your next England journey.Can't wait to hear about that.I know a visit from your folks will be just awesome:) Hugs, stay safe and come home:)YOU are missed!Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete