Wednesday, July 17, 2013

E.T. Phone Home


In the Peace Corps, E.T. stands for “Early Termination.”  There are three ways to terminate your service:
  • A volunteer can resign
  • A volunteer can be administratively separated (i.e. kicked out)
  • A volunteer can be medically separated due to illness or injury
My training group started with 46 people – 14 have ET’ed.  I will be number 15.  I have chosen to resign from my service (as opposed to officially closing my service) because of grad school.  I have been desperately trying to get my UK Student Visa processed in Uganda, but due to lack of printers/scanners in my village and restricted Kampala travel (where the Visa Application Center is), I cannot get my student visa here.  Since it takes 8 weeks for the visa application to be processed, I have to return to the U.S. as soon as possible in order to have my passport returned to me before school begins.

I am slightly stressed out because I have to leave Uganda in a bit of a rush.  I’ve been traveling for the past month (for meetings, conferences, and vacations) and have to pack up my house and say goodbye to everyone this week.  I’ll be leaving Kuluva on Friday and having a farewell dinner with the Arua PCV’s on Saturday.

The past two weeks have been an emotional rollercoaster, saying goodbye to my training group at our final conference and preparing to leave Uganda.  Mom and Dad have received many phone calls with me freaking about student visas, grad school, and early terminations.  They were very understanding and offered sound advice when my head was spinning . . . (albeit they’re slightly biased for me to come home early).  :)  And my PCV friends have been extremely supportive of my ET, reminding me that grad school is the next step and that should be my focus (not closing my service with Peace Corps).

Now being back at Kuluva, sitting in the computer room, typing this blog (because there’s nothing else to do), I am reminded that things at site are not so great and it’s okay to leave.  I found this quote on the blog of another PCV who also left early:

“Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.”  -Robert Tew

Instead of sitting around site (possibly just watching movies and reading books), the next four weeks could be better spent preparing for Leeds, readjusting to modern civilization, visiting family, and decompressing from two years in the Peace Corps.

So that’s my decision to ET and come home. 
(In case you’re wondering, my arrival back in the US will be sometime around July 27.)

 The remaining 32 people in my Peace Corps training group

4 comments:

  1. Hello my dear niece~it's your decision and you will make the best one for you~which you already did I think! I think one should definitely "Go where they are celebrated, not just tolerated."(Joel Osteen) You have given your time and service and waited and waited to serve more~you have given more than enough of your service, time, gifts and patience. You'd be in a place for a month just tolerating and being tolerated, even though it is with special people you care about. Seems to make sense to move on to take time with people who will celebrate your accomplishments and journey until you move on to the next one! Besides~Pig Roast needs you and so does your parents and family!COME HOME~when you decide the time is right:) You are loved and missed. I can understand your thoughts~just know I think you have given your best and that's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    Since we have already discussed and processed all your options, I just wanted to say again that you're making the best decision for yourself at this time -- it's time to go and make sure the next chapter of your life can start smoothly. I know the good-byes will be hard. Enjoy the remaining time you have with the Kuluva school community and your PC friends in Arua. We're so proud of all you've accomplished and can't wait to spend some time with you before you head off on your next challenge. See you SOON!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yey! Safe travels - see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Laura! Seems like the best decision you could have made. I have enjoyed keeping up with you by reading your blog. I hope I can see you this summer!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete