Monday, July 8, 2013

Pondering Thought #5: Food Habits


PCV Binge Eating
For some reason, PCVs consume copious amounts of food when we go to Kampala (or on vacation somewhere, or back to the States, etc.).  Sure there are limited food options in the village and going to “the city” offers a wide variety of cuisine, but why do we feel the need to gorge ourselves beyond capacity?  I would never eat an entire pizza by myself in the U.S., so why do I do it here?  Yes, it tastes amazing and I don’t want to stop eating it.  And I know people don’t keep leftovers here because there are no refrigerators or microwaves (for the most part).  But seriously, after stuffing my face with a vegetable pizza, someone suggested we go out for ice cream.  “Why not?!  I can’t get ice cream in the village!  Better have it now.”  Right?  Wrong.  I had a stomach ache for two days.

           
Jinja binge: My roasted vegetable sandwich w/ fries, my friend's meatball sandwich with fries, my mint chocolate chip milkshake, and my friend's chocolate peanut butter milkshake 
= stomach ache and indigestion.

Care packages are another binge opportunity.  I love everything I receive.  And I can easily ration granola bars and rice packets, but somehow the chocolate never lasts more than a week.

Produce vs. processed food
I thought when I came to Africa I’d be eating fresh fruits, veggies, and grains all the time.  What I didn’t realize was how much preparation everything takes.  In America, you can buy a can of beans and just heat them up on the stove.  Not here – beans are raw and take about 4 hours to cook.  I’m too lazy for that.  Fruits and veggies need to be scrubbed thoroughly (to get the dirt off) and then soaked in diluted bleach water for 20 minutes (to kill any bacteria).  Manure is used as fertilizer here, so if the animal had bacteria or parasites, then their manure will have it too.  Again, it’s a lot of work just eat a few tomatoes (not to mention the hour bike ride to town and the hour ride back).  And sometimes, I’ll buy a heap of tomatoes only to come home (wash & bleach them) and cut into them to find they are rotten on the inside.  Aargh! 


The risk of getting sick is very high, so I choose to make the majority of my meals from packaged foods (even though it’s much pricier than fresh food).  Ugandans can’t usually afford things like noodles or cereal, but my Peace Corps allowance is a lot more than what the locals earn.  And sometimes the supermarkets have some American goodies in stock. 


Yes, Heinz Ketchup is a special "treat" here.  The local "ketchup" is neon red and tastes like candy.

Animal slaughtering

I have not participated in any slaughters in Uganda, but I have witnessed many.  It’s the way of life here, even for PCVs.  In the market, there are many butcher stands with animal carcasses hanging and I frequently see boda drivers with cow/pig/goat parts (legs mostly) on the back of their bikes – one time it was a cow’s head!  Since living in Uganda, I have become much more sensitized to slaughtering and meat preparation.

(No photos available)

Insects
There are 2 local delicacies in Uganda: fried grasshoppers and fried white ants (aka termites).  Ugandans will collect grasshoppers in the fields, fry them up, and sell them by the bag on the side of the road.


During the rainy season, white ants will swarm around the outside house lights (after the rain has stopped).  People come with buckets to collect the termites after their wings have fallen off.  Then the ants are fried or mixed in with the beans and enjoyed.

 Pot full of cooked termites, mmm . . .

I have not tried either of these.  Am I still a vegetarian if I eat insects?

FYI – the WHO suggests adding insects to our diet for more protein and to reduce the environmental impact from cattle/animal farming.   


Eh! You are fat!
In Uganda, being fat is a good thing.  It shows that you are not sick (AIDS is 'the thinning disease') and that you have enough money to eat well.  It’s a sign of health and wealth.  But I’m from the US – so when the school attendant told me, “You have become very fat since coming to Uganda!” I was still offended.


Yes, I have put on a quite a few pounds during my service (*please refer back to PCV Binge Eating).  Although I ride my bike to Arua twice a week, that’s the only exercise I get.  Most days I just sit around my house or the computer room at school.  My life here is extremely sedentary compared to life in the US.  Oh, how I miss 24 Hour Fitness centers.


When we (PCVs) first arrived in country, we were warned about the phenomenon that girls gain weight in Peace Corps and boys lose weight.  It’s so true.  Boys lose a lot of muscle mass, but we girls put on the pounds due to all the carbs, sugar, and lack of exercise.


So yes Helen, I have become fat in Uganda.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    Your local food choices make me want to gather up some processed foods and send them off to you! Like you, I had pictured you going off to Uganda and eating the locally grown fruits, vegetables and grains -- but no meat. I hadn't even considered insects as a source of protein! (Should I send you another jar of peanut butter?) Your blog entries are so interesting and informative. Dad and I look forward each one -- seeing what topic you've chosen and learning more about your life in Uganda. It's been a great journey, but we can't wait for you to come home.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any respectable seafood out there, or would that just be asking for illness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura! You have had an active blogging couple weeks! I have been out in WY and just got back:) Took a technology leave too during that time and enjoyed the sights and beauty of Yellowstone. Your last couple blogs really interesting:) the pictures from Egypt~wonderful! Really enjoyed seeing and hearing about your trip. I am sure it is one you will remember~glad you remained safe. I had to chuckle about the scarf/vendor story...I had that experience in downtown Chicago when i was in high school! Vendors tried to pin flowers on us and then demand payment!Crazy no matter where one is! Glad you are about to return to the homeland~we are all ready for you to come home. May you stay safe and continue to be blessed on your journeys. Now come home and see your parents!!!Friends!!!!Family!!!!Hugs and safe travels home. Love, Aunt Linda P.S. No thanks to eating bugs for food:( Argh girl!That's too much to think about!

    ReplyDelete