Saturday, September 28, 2013

All Around Leeds

It came to my attention that people may need a visual of where I live in regards to the university, Leeds city area, etc.  This is the best I can do: a photo of a school map.


The "O" on the left side is my dorm; the brown area in the middle is the university; and southeast of the university is the city center.  It's about an hour long walk to get from my dorm to the city center (or I can take a 10-minute bus ride).  The "D" at the top of the map is a town called Headingley (a 15/20-minute walk from my dorm) - it's the closest place for me to go shopping (lots of thrift stores!) or eat out (coffee shops, Subway, Pizza Hut, Thai food and more).

A notable observation about the UK:
In America, there is a plethora of fast food restaurants.  McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Subway, KFC, Panda Express, Chipotle, Quizno's, Noodles & Company, Jimmy John's, Arby's, White Castle, just to name a few.  While the UK also has some of these options, they are only located in the city center.  There aren't any fast food restaurants near campus or my dorm.  Instead, the British love sandwiches.  There are sandwich shops on every corner and in every cafe on campus.  I'm talking plain old egg salad, tuna salad, ham & cheese sandwiches.  This is what they eat every day for lunch.  We've also had a few catered lunches during orientation - yep, all sandwiches.

Leeds city center is one giant shopping emporium, with stores ranging from the Pound Shop (aka The Dollar Store) to Louis Vuitton and Vivienne Westwood.  I went a city tour with a group from school and tried to learn my way around. 



Other than shopping, clubbing, or going to the train station, there's not really much else to do in the city center.  And since I am on a strict budget (with no income), my time in the city will be limited.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura! Thanks for the map and explanation!Very exciting! I am sure you will get your rhythm there soon and have your transportation down to a T.I imagine having winter will be a new experience again:) thanks for posting pictures and information.Have been wondering how your classes are going? You may have to blog the rest of your life so I can follow you around the world! Hugs and have a great week:) I don't know if you saw my fb entry, but I killed two spiders today and of course, thought of you!lol Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete