Wednesday, June 11, 2014

School's Out!!!

I don't know if anyone even reads this blog anymore.  It's ok.  :)

I've been extremely busy this past month with 2 presentations, 2 papers and a rough draft of my dissertation.  Needless to say, the blog was at the bottom of my "To Do" list.  But yesterday, I turned in the last two papers of my public health programme.  (Well, except for the dissertation, which is due in August.)  It's been an exhausting year, but totally worth it.

Today we had a final seminar about job hunting/interviewing and experiencing counter-culture shock upon returning home (which I'm all too familiar with after the Peace Corps).  We had a simple catered lunch of sandwiches (typical U.K. food) and then went for a hike in the afternoon to Ilkley Moors.  It has been raining (a few hours) everyday for the past couple of weeks and we were certain the hike would get cancelled.  We checked the weather during lunch and it looked pretty clear, so we decided to chance it.  It was a beautiful afternoon until we started walking back to the meeting point and saw the storm moving in.  We got back to the bus and as it pulled out of the parking lot, the rain came down.  It was perfect timing.




The Cow and Calf Rock formations in Ilkley

 Standing on the Cow


Definitely was the best way to end the school year!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I still read your blog! I check it every day! Congratulations on your accomplishments and good luck on that final piece -- your dissertation. Glad you had a nice day for a hike. We'll talk to you on Sunday. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, I'm writing in from Mumbai, India, and I found your blog when I was looking for info on Grayson Heights. I'm coming to Leeds in September 2014 to do my Masters in Theatre and Global Dev, and it's such a pleasure to read your blog and get a taste of what it's going to be like over there!

    I know you must be awfully busy right now with your dissertation taking up all of your time, but would be great to chat with you sometime (on skype or over e-mail) about your experiences. Thank you so much for writing this blog and offering a sneak peak into Leeds for an international student!

    ReplyDelete