Saturday, April 16, 2016

Three Days at Victoria Falls

Day 1
When we arrived at Victoria Falls, it was already raining a little; combined with the thick spray from the falls, we were completely drenched as we walked through to the viewpoints.  I didn’t even make it halfway through the 2-km pathway, not only because my clothes and shoes were soaked through, but also because it was impossible to take pictures and I didn’t want to risk damaging my camera or phone. 


I ended up at the visitor’s center cafĂ©, drinking a hot chocolate. And I found a great photo book of the falls at the gift shop.  Thankfully, the remaining time at Victoria Falls was sunny and beautiful.

Even in the rain, Victoria Falls is one of the most awesome sights I’ve ever seen.  The rainy season has just finished, so the falls have a high volume of water right now.  I don’t think I’d want to come during the low season, because it wouldn’t have the same impact.

 

Since I didn’t get very many pictures at the viewpoints, I had to do other activities to make the most of my time at the falls.  I immediately signed up the “Flight of the Angels” to get an areal view from a helicopter.  I was a bit nervous after the nauseating flight into the Okavango, but I wasn’t going to miss this.  Even though the price was outrageous for a 15-minute flight, it’s the only way to the see the entire falls and gorge from above.




Day 2
The second day started with an early morning game drive, and for the first time in all of my African safaris, I finally saw a rhino.


Next we went to the bridge that crosses the gorge between Zimbabwe and Zambia.  We couldn't actually enter Zambia because we only got a single entry visa for Zimbabwe (and I didn't want to pay for another one).  Crossing the bridge gave us another (distant) viewpoint of the falls.

(Zimbabwe side on the left, Zambia on the right)

In the afternoon, we finally had "down time" to do whatever we wanted.  So a group of us went Victoria Falls town and visited the craft shops (which were completely overpriced) and a smoothie bar.

Day 3
On the final day at Victoria Falls, I said goodbye to my tour companions (some were going home, others were continuing on another leg of the tour).  After a leisurely breakfast, I realized I had several hours to kill before going to the airport.  I decided for one last adventure at the falls.  :)



It was a great way to end my vacation.

Then it was off to Harare to visit Chiko, my classmate from grad school in Leeds.

I’ve spent the last two days with Chiko, helping finalize her wedding details (April 30th is the big day) and getting a tour of Harare.  I knew the visit would be short, but it’s time to head back to the states.  (I’ve been gone for nearly a month!)

I will be posting one more blog when I return to the U.S.

2 comments:

  1. Laura I just wrote a long post and lost it! Love your trip pics...the falls and everything is amazing. YOU ARE QUITE the traveler! Brave soul. LOVE YOUR ADVENTURES! I am a big chicken happily living vicariously through you. Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura I just wrote a long post and lost it! Love your trip pics...the falls and everything is amazing. YOU ARE QUITE the traveler! Brave soul. LOVE YOUR ADVENTURES! I am a big chicken happily living vicariously through you. Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete