Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Impressions of Thailand

Part I

After two long travel days, I decided to have leisurely morning (albeit that started at 4:00am) and unpack a little, get situated, and enjoy a big breakfast at the hotel.  I started the day by taking an Uber to the Chatuchak Market in Bangkok, which is the largest market in Southeast Asia.  Seriously!  I got lost for over an hour trying to find my way out.  I kept trying to take a shortcut through the market to the other side, but would get turned around and end up at same entrance every time.  I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone - always ending at the same spot no matter which way I turned.  Eventually, I decided to just walk around the perimeter to find my way out.  That worked.

Later that day (after walking for many hours), I indulged in a Thai massage - my first of many this trip. (It only costs $7.00 for a one-hour massage!)  For those who are not familiar, Thai massage is a floor massage, fully clothed, with lots of stretching/pulling/twisting of the body.  It's closer to physical therapy than an oil massage.  This was my first experience with Thai massage and it was quite intense.  (My muscles are very tight and I don't enjoy having my bones cracked.)  It's not very relaxing, but it's extremely beneficial for joints, muscle pain, and circulation.
*Note: after talking with one of my group mates, it sounds like I did not have a good therapist.  I will try again today (at the hotel in Sukothai) and see if it's more relaxing.

On Sunday night, my tour group met for introductions and dinner.  There are nine people in my group (3 boys, 6 girls), ranging in ages from 18-60's.  Countries of origin include Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada, Peru, Switzerland, and the UK.  This group will only be together for the first week, then 5 people are done with their tour and 4 of us (plus some additional others) will continue to the south for week two.


Part II

Today was not nearly as exciting, since we spent six hours on a bus to Sukothai.  But to our surprise, we arrived at a gorgeous resort hidden in this small town.


While there wasn't much activity today, six hours gave me plenty of time for reflection, and I've noted many contrasts between Thailand and my experience in Uganda.

  • One of first things I picked up on was how polite and courteous people are here.  There was no yelling at a taxi park; no harassment at the marketplace.  Thai people are soft-spoken and non-confrontational  - I feel very comfortable talking with everyone here.
  • The second thing I noticed was the sheer number of 7-Elevens here.  They're everywhere.  Yes, 7-Eleven - the little convenient store - is thriving in Thailand.  It was unexpected and amusing.
  • Thailand is very clean.  There is virtually no trash on the streets (and they recycle here!).  This is a sharp contrast to Uganda, where trash was everywhere.



  • I'm feeling very nostalgic for the village life . . . I feel like I could live here (at least for a little while).  Maybe it's because the rural areas in Thailand are a bit more developed than Uganda.  Maybe it's because I love Thai food and could eat it every day.  Did I mention how lovely the people are?  :)  Maybe I should try to get on some public health projects in Thailand.

1 comment:

  1. Quite an adventure, Laura! Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. It's interesting to learn about the gentle people of Thailand, although I hope you don't decide to move there! Enjoy every day of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete