Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Feeling Good


First, Happy Valentine’s Day to my family and friends!  Sending my love from the other side of the world.

Today has turned out to be pretty good.  I got caught up on some schoolwork (creating exam questions for Social Psychology).  Good – done.  Then the power came back on after a 2-day blackout.  Nice.   And I decided to give my feet a good scrubbing and pedicure.  Awesome.

I also had the idea to transfer all of my blog entries to a Word document to save as a “journal.”  So I just finished copying all of my entries over and relived my trips to Costa Rica and Brazil (and Peace Corps Training again).  I also got a chance to read comments that I didn’t know were posted!  Thanks to everyone for writing and giving me so much support!  I’m charged with positive energy right now!  :)

So, it’s been 6 months since I moved to Africa, and it randomly hits me that this is my life:
  • Tucking my mosquito net under my mattress as I climb into bed
  • Boiling water for a bucket bath
  • Riding in a matatu (taxi) with a live chicken under my seat
  • Watching the monkeys run around my front porch
  • Hand-washing my clothes in basins
  • Passing the grass hut villages on my bike ride to Arua
I totally love this experience.


6 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day to you, too! Your valentine from us is on the way -- maybe you'll have something sweet to snack on by this weekend. Remember to check at the post office.

    Keeping your blog entries as a journal is a great idea. Maybe you'll write a book!

    It hasn't escaped us that you've been gone for 6 months. We think (worry) about you everyday, but we're thankful for your great site and the loving people watching over you. It's very reassuring to be able to talk to you as often as we do. We didn't know that would be a possibility when you left.

    Great picture -- I always enjoy seeing new ones.

    Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentines Day beautiful Laura! You are missed and loved.Amber had to hit the Big 30 without you!!You will be back for the wedding before you know it! Hoping u are having an awesome day while living your ~dream~May you stay safe and happy! Love, Aunt Linda and Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day to you too! And thanks for the birthday wishes on facebook! I had a great birthday. Jesse surprised me with a fun night out with friends, food, a limo, and bowling! I am so glad that you are still enjoying your experience. And I love that picture of you with the kids!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Valentine's Day, Laura! Yes, you've had quite an adventurous life so far. I can't wait to find out what's next for you! You always keep us guessing. : ) I would love to read your journals all in one place sometime...that was a great idea! I like you mom's idea too...you definitely have the skills and content to write a book! You look fantastic! Love the photo. Thanks for all of your newsy posts and pics. Lots of love to you, Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Laura! I meant to email you awhile ago. ..I'm glad you got the package I sent! I just love reading your blog- keep up the awesome posts. What a neat experience you are having. . .jealous of all the monkeys you get to hang out with lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! I'm glad to hear you are happy and I love the new picture! :)

    ReplyDelete