Wednesday, February 29, 2012

March Calendar


This past weekend, the Peace Corps held elections for the Gender and Development (GAD) Committee in Kampala.  Since that’s what I want to focus on for my secondary project, I made the trip to Kampala to run for one of the positions.  And I got elected as secretary!  :)  I wasn’t quite ready to run for the director position, since I’m still pretty new to Uganda and Peace Corps.  But the secretary position is absolutely perfect for me – and it’s a great learning opportunity.  We’re still trying to put together the goals for the committee, but basically (as I understand it), GAD will oversee the programs and events that PCVs coordinate, which relate to women empowerment, life skills education, sexual harassment, domestic violence, LGBT issues, etc.  Our first meeting is at the end of March, so I will write more about it then.

In the meantime, I’m working on the inventory database (at the nursing school) this week.  And next week, I’m teaching class.  Then on March 10th, I’ll be traveling back through Kampala to go to Masaka for our In-Service Training.  This was supposed happen back in January but it got postponed because of the wall collapse at the Peace Corps Office.  They’ve finally rescheduled it for March 11-14.  I’m actually really excited to see my entire PC Training group again and talk about our work/sites.  And I’ve got plenty of questions to ask Peace Corps Administration.

After I return from the training, I’ll be at Kuluva for another week before I have to go back to Kampala for the GAD Committee meeting.  (I’m getting used to the 8-hour bus rides.) 

Then in April, I’m thinking about traveling to Gulu for Easter and visiting my friends there for a long weekend.  Ha!  We’ll see if I have enough energy for all of these bus/matatu rides!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your election as Secretary of GAD! We can't wait to hear what that entails for you. Maybe you'll be traveling to attend the various PCV programs/events and will see more of the country that way. How exciting that your secondary project so perfectly fits your desire to focus on women empowerment.

    I hope the In-Service Training next month is a fun reunion with your training group. I'm sure you'll hear some interesting stories!

    Stay safe.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congrats on the election! It sounds like it will be perfect for you! I hope it is everything you hope for! :) Love, Kailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, Hi from Colorado. This is like a great book waiting to see what happens next!! Congrats on the Secretary of GAD!! It is hard to imagine how far you have come in such a short period of time! I want you to know we think about you all the time. Annie & Nikki are doing great. we have seen Annie a lot over the last couple of weekends because she has been under the weather, nothing serious. Nikki is in Tampa Bay with friends this week enjoying her time away from me, just kidding. Goldie and I are doing a lot sitting around. We look forward to your updates and seeing you in September!

    Stay safe
    Love Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Laura on getting elected Secretary!! Sounds like things are going great, glad to hear! Braylen got his 6 month pictures taken so be looking for those on facebook soon! Miss ya and love ya. Love, Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura! Congrats! U are a super star in Uganda!!!!So happy for your new position! Love to read all about u~8 hour bus rides would be hard on me~glad u have the stamina! Hugs and stay safe as always~Love Aunt Linda and Uncle Jer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura! Sorry I've been out of touch for a bit...I was on a business trip last week and have been crazy busy catching up and getting ready to go on vacation this week. I'm SO looking forward to a week in Costa Rica with Kristi. I definitely need a slower paced, more simpler life. I'm sure you can relate. :) I am SO proud of and happy for you...congratulations on your election to Secretary of GAD!!! Way to go!!! You are a super star in Uganda...as Linda said in her post. :) You always seem to know how to take your next step so that it builds you for the step after that. How clever. You are an inspiration and a role model for all of us! I can't wait to see you in September. It will be here before we know it. In the meantime, take care riding your bike on those dusty/muddy roads and stay safe. We love you! Aunt, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS: I'm sure you have this all figured out, but I'm curious about you being able to vote in the 2012 presidential election. How will that work for you?

    ReplyDelete