Friday, February 3, 2012

Pondering Thought #1: Fire!


In the states, if I smelled something burning, I would instinctively react as though there was an emergency (even if it was just a batch of cookies burning in the oven). 

But in Uganda, the smell of burning trash or leaves is constant.  There is no waste management here, so one must collect their rubbish and set it on fire to dispose of it.  Fires are started in a trash pits around the hospital compound; by the side of the road; or basically anywhere you feel like starting a fire.

Fire is also used as a lawn-maintenance technique.  During the dry season, fires are started in open fields and farms to get rid of the dry grasses and leaves and to encourage new growth.

So my pondering thought was: with the smell of smoke around every day, how am I supposed to know when there is an actual emergency?  And believe me, there are times when it is an emergency! 

A couple of months ago, my friend Nancy smelled something burning in her kitchen – it was her electric kettle that had shorted out after a power surge.  She got second-degree burns on her foot after part of the kettle exploded and set her papyrus floor mat on fire. 

A few weeks ago, I smelled smoke right after my electricity came back on.  Then I saw the smoke right outside my window!  I ran outside and saw the fuse box on the side of my house was smoking – so I unplugged the important electronics (computer & refrigerator) and called the electrician.  He came out and told me the fuse box was to my water pump and I would be without water for a few days. 

Then, the day before I left for Kitgum, I smelled smoke again – but this was a normal trash/leaf burning smell.  A few minutes later, I heard the fire crackling outside my house!  I opened my backdoor to see a line of fire in the brush behind my house.  I don’t know if someone’s trash pile got out of control or what, but they ended up burning the entire side of the hospital compound.  The flames came right up to the side of my house!  Eventually, it stopped down by the gravel path.  That night my house reeked of smoke, and when I came home from Kitgum, and nice layer of dusty ash had covered everything.

I don’t know if my nerves will ever get used to the weekly fires.  Smoke = panic.

4 comments:

  1. Ahh! The smell of smoke and sight of fire makes me nervous too! But I too, am used to seeing fires out in the fields and it isn't a big deal. They are "controlled" fires but it still is scary to think....what if it's not controlled...should I be worried??? Don't know if you already heard this story but a long time ago when we lived out in the boonies, a lady knocked on our door and said that there was a forest fire headed our way! She freaked me out cause I opened the back door and all I saw was fire and smoke! But then we found out that it was a controlled fire. (Mom, if you read this...does it bring back memories? LOL.) Still very scary how close they can be to homes sometimes! I think you are smart to stay on alert and investigate when you smell smoke! Miss ya and love ya! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, crazy. So I assume all your clothes smell like a campfire. Kinda makes me think of Pigeon Lake :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you didn't tell us of the fire hazards all around you. Something else to worry about! When Scott hears about smokey smells, the first thing he thinks of is Pigeon Lake. When I hear all your stuff wreaks of smoke, the first thing I think of is Daniel & Lena's condo. At any rate, you can't seem to escape having all your stuff stunk up by smoke!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol....Amber, Scott and your mom said it all! Amber ,I do remember that fire...it was a controlled burn, but it was close to being out of control...it got way too close to us! That was scary!Laura, we totally understand....u stay safe and do what Amber said, investigate!!!! Scott...we sure have spent a lot of years around campfires! Laura,you too at Pig Roast and Pigeon Lake.Even our back yard in Newman!!!u and Josh had quite a time!lol Laura...hugs and hope u get a break from the smoke!

    ReplyDelete