Thursday, August 2, 2012

Jinja, Iganga, Lira


I’m off to Jinja for camp!  The first one I’m going to is Girl Tech.  This camp is more focused on teaching science theories and developing technical skills.  I saw the schedule and it’s mostly classroom sessions with fun science experiments.  Also, each group of girls will work on a science project throughout the week to present at a science fair on the last day!  I think I’m really going to enjoy this one.

Then on August 11th I’ll travel to Iganga for Eastern Camp GLOW.  (No time for hanging out in Jinja.  Oh well.)  There are some similar sessions to the other Camp GLOW I went to, but this one will still be a little different.  And I’ve been selected to teach a session on nutrition and sanitation!  :)  It will be nice try something new (instead of teaching computers).

So my original plan was to relax for a day or two in Jinja after the camps and then head back to Arua.  Of course, at the last minute, plans have changed.  There are 6 girls (campers) who are visually impaired and need to have someone travel with them back to their villages.  They are from the northern region and I am the only PCV at camp who is going back north.  So I will accompany the girls on the bus from Iganga to Mbale to Soroti to Lira.  (Mom, you can check it out the route on your map.)  I’ll stay the night in Lira and then travel back to Arua the next day.  Another adventure across new regions of Uganda!  (Don't worry - all of my traveling is in the east . . . Ebola is in the west.  I'm safe.)

By the way, do you realize I have been in Uganda for almost an entire year???  I arrived here on August 4, 2011 (although it was very late at night).  One year!  Woo-hoo!!

P.S.  I will be bringing my computer with to the camps, but I anticipate having no free time to use it.  So I won’t be blogging or emailing for a couple of weeks.  There is a slight chance that I’ll post pictures on the day I switch camps, but no promises.

4 comments:

  1. Have a great time at camp, Laura! Girl Tech sounds like fun. And I know your sessions on nutrition and sanitation (at Camp GLOW) will be important and life-changing for the girls.

    We'll be marking your 1-year anniversary in Uganda on Saturday by missing you -- still. Can't wait to see you in September! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you Laura!Enjoy it all! Congrats on a year tomorrow!:-) You are rocking the world scene with the Peace Corps work u are doing! You will be on a plane home in a blink of an eye~hugs and love you much!SEE YOU SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, one year already! Happy African Anniversary, Laura! I think of you often and send Love and hugs. xoxo

    Your camp experiences sound fantastic... meaningful and rewarding connections with the young women of Uganda. GLOW... how perfect is that! :) Have a fabulous time!!

    ReplyDelete