Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Back in Uganda


As I was riding in the taxi (private car, that is) from the airport, I watched the landscapes and towns go by and realized that there is an element of ‘home’ here.  Dukas, chapatti stands, boda-boda drivers, fabric shops, goats & cows along the roadside, women carrying basins of fruit on their heads, street meat, etc. – I didn’t miss it, but the familiarity of it comforted me.  I’m now starting my second year in Peace Corps Uganda and instead of being a stranger in a strange land, I feel more adjusted to the culture and more confident about living here.

I arrived at my house to find it dirty, but secure.  Everything was just as I’d left it.  There were definitely more Daddy Long Legs hanging around, but not as many as I had expected.  What was surprising was the amount of lizard poop all over the house – it was everywhere.  (I hope that means they were busy eating spiders.)  Thankfully, Amviko came over to clean the next day – so the house looks great now (and I can unpack!).  I had filled my suitcase with as much American food as I could – final weigh-in at the airport was 48.5 pounds (but there were also some clothes and toiletries in there too).  My kitchen is completely stocked and it’s time to get back into the routine of riding my bike to town twice a week for fresh fruits and vegetables.  It seems the rainy season is almost finished and the sun is hot again.

On Monday, I went to school to check-in and see everyone.  Sister Anne was so excited to see me – she gave me a great big hug . . . and a pile of work to get started on immediately.  The school is extremely short-staffed right now: the librarian just gave birth to little baby boy and will be out for 3 months; one of the secretaries is on annual leave for a few weeks; and Dr. Anne is on annual leave for 6 weeks.  So now I’m stuck doing clerical work because there is no one else to do it.  Yeah, I’m going to need to talk to my Peace Corps Program Manager . . . soon soon.

FYI – I have posted more pictures to my Shutterfly website - just click on the link.  While I was visiting the family, I learned that some people did not have a clear picture of where I lived or what the ‘hospital compound’ is - so I added some new photos.  Hopefully this will clear up any misconceptions.

Also, I inquired about the PO Box and if the hospital has paid for it yet.  The answer is NO.  It’s been 6 months since I gave them the bill and I’m not going to wait around any longer.  I talked with the other PCVs and will share their box.  So the new address is:

Sister Laura Meyer
P.O. Box 933
Arua, Uganda

(I think it’s helpful to keep the ‘Sister’ part to deter thieves.)

P.S.  Today is Uganda's 50th Independence Day!  BIG celebration in Kampala - Arua will be celebrating on Thursday.  Apparently Uganda can only throw parties one city at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi kiddo~glad you are safely back. I am sure it will be an interesting year for you! Okay`you need to know i actually bought your "special niece" birthday card early,sent it early so u would get it, and now realize you will never see it because u have a new PO box...so Happy Birthday...early lol...Love u much and should it show up here`I may resend it...depends what year i get it back! God bless~stay safe...and love u much:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    You sound happy to be back, and relieved that your house was as you left it, but not too happy about the clerical work! I'm sure Sister Anne was very happy to see you -- as you promised her, you did return! I loved the new pictures -- gives me a better idea of your "neighborhood." And thanks for the new P.O. Box address -- I'll be sending a package when your S.R. CD arrives. We miss having you share our house! It was great having you home. Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete