Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Gorillas in the Mist

Uganda, Rwanda, and the Democratic Republic of Congo are the only places in the world to track mountain gorillas.  Since I live in the area, I had to do it.

Our trek began around 8:00am, but the scouts went out a few hours before us, in order to locate the gorillas families.  My friends and I were doing the "short" trek, which was 3-4 hours.  After one hour of climbing up the mountain, the scouts radioed in that the gorilla family was on the move towards us.  

For first 15 minutes, we struggled to see them because they were hiding in the dense bushes.  But then a few of the younger ones started climbing the trees.



Out of nowhere came the monstrous silverback gorilla.  He walked down the path right in front of me!  I was stunned.

 Yes, he was actually that close.

He passed right next to me!!!


Eventually, the rest of gorilla family emerged and we got tons of photos.









5 comments:

  1. You're pictures are amazing Laura, what an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Laura! I'm so glad you got to experience this and took so many great pictures! (Weren't you scared being so close to them?)
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a silverback. I would've crapped my pants. Must have been an amazing experience. Glad you didn't end up like Dian Fossey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning photos, Laura!!! I am happy for you that you were able to have this awesome encounter. The silver on the big guys back is SO intense -- I never realized how obvious it was! And I love the photo of you with all of the gorillas looking down on you in the background. You will remember this experience forever, and I am grateful to experience it through you :) Love you, Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing Laura~really! Love gorillas but you are MUCH braver than I ever would be...I am only comfortable watching them at the zoo! hugs girl

    ReplyDelete