Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kuluva Trading Center

My last blog post was about traveling.  To give you some perspective (about why I need to get out occasionally), here are some pictures of Kuluva's trading center.  Kuluva is so small, it's not even considered a town.  A trading center is a cluster of stores along the main road - usually near a sizable village.


This is duka.  There are about three of these located on the hospital compound.  I usually stop here to buy eggs, bread, sugar, and juice. 




Just outside the compound, several women sit under this tree and sell their vegetables.  Between this 'market' and the dukas, I can probably put together a meal or two.  But I usually ride to Arua and buy my food there.  If I run out of tomatoes or just need some fruit for the morning, I walk to this tree and pick up whatever's available.




This is a photo from the main road (Kampala - Arua).  This road to the hospital is very short and the tree with 'market' is at the end just before the hospital gates.

















There are about 12 shops in the Kuluva trading center - and they're not always open.  But they all sell the same things (eggs, bread, margarine, sodas, sugar, etc.)  I don't really shop here - I just go to the dukas next to the hospital.

I took these pictures standing at the end of  'town'.  This is seriously all of the stores.
 
  

I hope this gives you a better picture of where I live.  And now you understand why I ride my bike to Arua Town as often as possible.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your pictures, Laura. They really help me visualize you there in Kuluva. I remember last fall (when you were new in town) and you said the ladies at the duka (or maybe it was the ladies with their vegetables under the tree) laughed when you spoke Lugbara to them and they responded in English. Now I know where you were standing! I can see why you need to travel to Arua for most of your groceries. Maybe next trip you'll take some pictures of the Arua marketplace? Stay safe as you ride your bike on the shoulder of that road.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura~thanks for these pictures!They help so very much.Getting a better idea of where you live, and your habits and and to day living really puts new light on your experience.It is good you have a couple choices at least in which to get food.Hoping you are doing well. Weather still looks okay there. Are you warmer at night or still cold? I know you mentioned getting your winter blanket out!Stay warm, stay safe, hugs. We love you. Love, Aunt Linda and Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete