Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Time of the Season

The rainy season is upon us and it’s not a rainy as I thought it would be.  But Sister Anne said Kuluva has not been getting the usual amount – a lot of the storms have been passing by and hitting Arua.  We get a rain storm about every other day, usually between the hours of 11:00pm and 1:00am.  The heavy downpours accompanied by massive lighting and thunder wake me up every time.
 
The morning after the thunderstorm, the temperature drops to the low 60’s.  That doesn’t sound very cold, but my house has screens for windows (the glass is there but never really closes).  With a strong wind blowing the cold, damp air through my house, I am freezing in the morning!  I layer up with a tank top, t-shirt, and sweatshirt, and long pants underneath a skirt – and sometimes a blanket on top of that!  But by noon the clouds begin to clear and the sun comes out.  This combined with all the moisture equals 100% humidity.  But at least I’m warm again.  :)

Besides the temperature change, one other major difference in my life during this season is the change of pests in my house.  Those huge African spiders that I killed on a daily basis are gone.  I’m guessing they come inside the house to stay cool during the dry season.  I haven’t seen a single one since the rain started. (The Daddy Long Legs are still hanging out.  I sweep through the house each week to get rid of them.)  Now I’m dealing with termites, millipedes, ants, and . . . mosquitoes.  Yes, the mosquitoes have arrived with a vengeance.  Now on top of my layer of sunscreen, I have to put a layer of bug repellant.  Geez.  The termites and ants are annoying and only an occasional problem – it’s the millipedes that creep me out.  They seem to crawl under my back door into my kitchen (there’s a huge gap between the door and floor; I bet small animals could get in if they tried).  And the millipedes also fall from my ceiling.  I have a straw-mat type of ceiling where the spiders, lizards, millipedes, and God knows what else nest.


 

   

(A lizard can easily climb between the ceiling and wall.)
 
Another effect of the rain is tall grass and overgrown plants around the house.  It’s nice to have everything looking so green, but it’s also the perfect place for snakes to hide.  Yep, it’s snake season.  Just yesterday I found a green mamba in my kitchen.  (Sorry, I didn’t have time to grab my camera.)  It came in through the gap at my back door – big surprise.  It’s funny – this kind of stuff doesn’t even faze me anymore.  “Shit.  There’s a venomous snake in my kitchen.  Get out!!  Shoo!!  Go away!!”  And it turned around and went right back outside.  Luckily, green mambas are very shy and generally non-aggressive.  I got the feeling that this guy just made a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in my kitchen.  As soon as he saw me, he turned around and left.

Ok, not to leave you totally creeped out, there are also good times – with the monkeys of course.  Here is a picture of a little monkey takin’ a snooze on my front porch.  Aaaawwww.  ;)


3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    No snakes, millipedes, termites, or lizards here at home . . . so look forward to that when you're home for a visit. I may have you kill the occasional indoor spider for me . . . I'm sure it won't phase you at all! Loved seeing your cute pet monkey on your porch . . . have you named him? Thanks for sharing your Uganda life with us! Stay safe.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello~I am afraid we would have to draw the line at snakes!Uncle Jerry does NOT like them~too many in Vietnam. Stay safe and snuff out those little and big critters~spare no one! I have no tolerance for bugs or snakes. Monkeys can stay! Glad u have adjusted to all this~sorry u have to layer so much.No fun being cold~hope the season passes quickly for u! How many days until your plane ride home? U need like vines looped together and each day take one off until u come home! Kinda like red and green paper chains for the countdown for Christmas! Lizards are interesting~but I don't like anything falling from the ceiling~u have guts Laura~we love you~stay safe and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally...I can post again! I don't know why sometimes my computer will let me post and sometimes it won't. Sorry I haven't been posting on you last couple of blogs....that's why I emailed you, so you knew that I am reading them, I just was having a hard time posting. Anyway....I, like my mom, can't stand bugs and snakes either. I don't like spiders but I am not afraid to kill them if I have to! Remember our pet spider at Grandma's house?! Wasn't his name like Charlie or something? Lol....good times. I like monkeys though....totally jealous you have a pet monkey! He's cute. I have some something close to a monkey...Braylen! Hahahaha...just kidding...but he does act like a monkey sometimes. :) Good luck with the cold morning temps and falling bugs....does not sound fun at all. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete