Saturday, June 23, 2012

Retail Therapy


I’ve been having a rough couple of weeks – projects at school are moving very slowly and it’s driving me nuts.  I had to wait 4 weeks just to get computer price estimates for the grant proposal, no one has even looked at the inventory database I created, and they’re still pressuring me to teach the nursing students even though my Peace Corps manager told them that’s not my job.  I’m so bored on my evenings and weekends – all I do is watch movies/TV shows.  I went out to dinner a couple of times with the Arua PCVs, but even that is awkward as I’m the only one who’s not a senior citizen.  The isolation (and millipedes) start to really bother me around the third straight week at site and I know I have to get out again.  Luckily, I had to travel to Entebbe this weekend (near Kampala) for a GAD Committee meeting.

When I arrive in the city, the first thing I always do is go to a coffee shop and get a latte or cappuccino.  As I was enjoying my drink yesterday, I heard classical music come on over the speakers.  It was the first time I heard classical music in almost a year and for some reason it reminded me of Christmas.  I was already in a downward spiral (about work issues and missing a social life) and the music just made me miss home even more – I almost started crying right there.  After a few minutes, I pulled myself together and decided to do something “American” to make me feel better.  So I went shopping (and didn’t care how much I spent).  I didn’t go to any street markets – I went to retail stores where I don’t haggle over the prices and I don’t get harassed “Hey mundu! You come here and buy this! Mundu!  Where are you going?!”  In the end, I spent a good chunk of my monthly stipend and got some jewelry, two scarves, a skirt, and a new tote bag.  Total splurge.  Of course, there were food indulgences too, like a veggie burger and peanut M&M’s.

The best part of this weekend is seeing other PCVs.  I always feel reassured after talking to other volunteers about struggles at site and how to cope with the lack of progress at work.

And it’s really nice just to go out and have a beer with friends.

4 comments:

  1. OK, you win. I could never make it through the isolation that you're experiencing. I want to come right over there and keep you company, but wait, I'm practically like those "senior citizens" that you have an abundance of. I'll send Scott.

    I'm SO glad that you have coping skills (like shopping) to fall back on. There's nothing like strolling through a mall to take your mind off your troubles. But alas, you have to take an 8-hour bus ride to reach a mall. The "Shoppes of Kuluva" don't appear to have Old Navy, REI, Target, Sprouts, Starbucks or any of your other favorites. We'll have to make sure you don't have sensory overload when you're home in September!

    I hope time with your GAD committee friends will help. Maybe they'll have other suggestions for you. I'm sure you're not alone and sometimes just knowing that helps. Be sure to check for my care package when you get back so you can get a little more "Essence of America." Have a great time over the 4th, and keep planning those get-aways.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura~you are not missing much in the midwest~unless you like 100 degree weather and humidity! Hot, hot, hot! have to do things early because it's too hot later~unless one is swimming! Your trip sounded like it helped you a lot and the shopping`so great you did that for you!Sounds like you are missing people your age~that makes sense...July is almost upon us and then you will be in the countdown from July 13th on! You are going to make it okay~u are doing it. I am so sorry you are lonesome~but really~your homecoming will be the sweetest feeling on earth.

    You are conquering the unknown and helping those you can~that is a wonderful wonderful thing. Love you and want u to have a good 4th~will be thinking about you as always~much love,stay safe, and see you in a few mths, Love Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would go shopping too if I was lonely. Good choice! When I lived in San Diego with my parents those 6 months I became very lonely for people my own age...so I know the feeling. But I just kept thinking about going back to Missouri to visit and it made me feel better. Keep thinking about September! It's just around the corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you, Laura... and I brag often about the wonderful and self-less work you are doing for the world.

    It's wonderful that you are taking such good care of yourself, treating yourself to some TLC when you need it. And how great that you have found the GLOW camps to enhance your experience and energy level there.

    Bless your heart... and your stamina and your resilience.

    A big hug.

    ReplyDelete